Everything you need to know about becoming a gas-safe engineer.

Find your course today

What is the Gas Safe Register?

The Gas Safe Register holds a list of all the registered gas businesses and provides engineers with a licence to work on gas.

Why do I need to be Gas Safe Registered?

In the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey, and Jersey the law requires all gas engineers to be on the Gas Safe Register.

What courses can I take to become gas safe?

Whether you are starting out or refreshing your current qualifications you need to ensure that any courses you undertake are industry-recognised and meet Gas Safe requirements.

You can use the EU Skills website to view a full list of recognised training programmes and qualifications. You will need to complete any relevant training successfully before you can move forward to assessment.

At The Energy Academy, we offer a range of gas courses that will allow you to gain the qualifications to become a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

If you are looking to get into the gas industry, we have a Managed Learning Programme that provides you with all the training, assessments, and certifications to become a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Find out more about the Managed Learning Programme by reading our ‘managed learning programme FAQs blog’ or for detailed information about what the course includes and how to book, click here.

We also provide Gas Safety CNN1 courses for both initial qualifications and renewals, Gas Safety for Domestic Appliances and LPG Changeover. All courses are specific to various appliances and are necessary for undertaking gas work in different environments. View our full range of gas courses.

How do I get Gas Safe Registered?

Once you have obtained the relevant qualifications, certifications and evidence of competence, you can then apply to become Gas Safe Registered.

When you complete your qualification your awarding body will send these to the Gas Safe Register, all you need to do is go online and register.

The Gas Safety Register will give you a probationary registration status for the first three months, you are still fully registered and able to do gas work, but there are certain requirements you need to adhere to.

Below is a list of what the Gas Safe Register requires:

You’ll need to keep records and be able to show examples of your gas work and inform us of all finished work; details can be found in Section 3b of the Rules of Registration.

If you are unable to provide evidence of gas work within your probationary period, the business will be suspended - you should not register until you intend to carry out gas work. They’ll consider any history you have on the registration scheme and use that to inform your progress. Businesses move out of probationary registration once they’ve demonstrated their competence through our inspection process.

They reserve the right to extend the probationary period if gas work notified to them and inspected by them is not of a satisfactory standard or representative of the categories of registration held by your business or engineers. Should this be the case, they’ll support you to help you complete the probationary period.

How long does my gas safety certificate last?

Once you’re Gas Safe registered your certificate is valid for 12 months. You will need to renew each year from the date you registered, you can find out the current fees for registration and renewals on the Gas Safe website.

If you are considering becoming a gas engineer but would like some more insight into what a career as a gas engineer could be like give our ‘why become a gas engineer’ blog a read.

Our partners

Receive our newsletter