CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher (SMSTS)
The 2 day CITB SMSTS Refresher Training course is designed for candidates who have already passed the SMSTS Course. All SMSTS certificates are valid for 5 years from the date of issue. Candidates will be required to show their original 5 day certificate and if known provide details of where and when they took the course. Delegates MUST attend both days in order to obtain their certification.
By attending the SMSTS refresher course delegates will be updated on developments in construction legislation and use of appropriate best practice. The course will also enhance existing managerial skills necessary to achieve compliance with any new legal duties and responsibilities placed on them and their workforce..
This course is for 2 days
At the end of the SMSTS Refresher course successful candidates will be able to: –
- Manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the context of their management and supervisory role
- Understand their legal, moral and social obligations to maintain a healthy and safe site, as well as consider the benefits and costs of implementation to their organisation
- Identify and avoid potential hazards on site
- Prepare method statements, risk assessments and other statutory requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act
The SMSTS Refresher course will cover the following topics: –
- Legislation, ACOP updates with discussions on impact and practical aspects of compliance
- Overview of proposed/impending legislation
RIDDOR – Accident statistics, costs, causes, management responsibilities/methods in prevention
- HSE’s current focus on construction activities
- Safety management systems, policies, plans and performance measuring
- Management of Contractors
- Communication and consultation aspects, effective use of ‘toolbox talks’ and ‘site inductions’
- Behavioural Safety including awareness of human error, stress and prevention
- Syndicate exercises
At the end of the CITB SMSTS Refresher course delegates are required to sit an exam paper consisting of 25 questions, of which 5 are safety critical and require a short written answer. Multiple choice questions are worth 1 point each and safety critical questions are worth 1-3 points each. In order to pass the course delegates MUST answer ALL of safety critical questions correctly. The SMSTS Refresher Course pass rate is 80% (28 out of 35)
Delegates must attend both of the days, in accordance with the course programme, to achieve the necessary learning objectives and qualify for re-certification. Successful candidates will be issued with the CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher (SMSTS Refresher) certificate which is valid for 5 years.